House of Coimbatore


In 1982 Fr Augustine Ampattukuzhiyil and Bro Basil went to Coimbatore in Tamilnadu in search of a place; they found a suitable house, bought it and began staying there. Thus the community was inaugurated on 20 August 1982. They opened a book centre right in front of the Cathedral of Coimbatore, on Big Bazar Street, not far from the railway station. Fr M. K. Paul was the first superior of the community, and under his guidance the community and the book centre flourished. It was a house of apostolate, meant also for recruiting vocations from Tamilnadu.

The vocation plan did not function well. The book centre used to conduct very successful diffusison programmes and book exhibitions in the Nilgiris. However, the later superiors did not do well, financial burdens increased, and so the house of Coimbatore was closed in 1991, and the property was sold.


Agenda Paolina

 18/10/2018

* SSP: 1943 ad Apelação (Portogallo).

 18/10/2018

† SSP: D. Josephino Javellana (2006) - Fr. Nazareno Giolo (2016) • FSP: Sr. Virgelina Ceballos (1997) - Sr. Giuseppina M. Balestra (2015) • ISF: José Anacleto Aguilera (2010).

Thoughts

 18/10/2018 It is not a matter of knowing the bodies that are visible, but the souls that listen. We must make ourselves known through the catechism and the ministry of the word, which the Master has entrusted [to us] (AD 316).